Monday, July 25, 2011

TAKING A LEAP OF FAITH


Acts 2:43 nkjv

“ Then fear came upon them every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles”
My interpretation of this verse was that they (the people or congregation) was in owe when they saw the wonder that the Holy Spirit was performing through the apostles. Back in the earlier verses Acts 2:41 and 42; these people took a huge leap of faith. They submitted to God and were baptized. They continued in their faith steadfastly, with community and payer. And in return they were blessed with reassurance, through the works, wonders and signs done through the apostles, by God.
            If you read carefully, nowhere in the reading does it mention their conditions in order to submit, be baptized and follow the Lord. I don’t recall God having to fill out any paper work, agreeing to a lifetime of nice weather and a comfy seat in heaven with a good view of the Blazer’s game. No these people jumped without looking… they had simple faith that the Lord would catch them before they hit the ground. These people (new believers), didn’t say “ Show me God and I will do it” instead they did it and in return their Father showed them “many wonders and signs” through the apostles. The Lord blessed them AKA reassured them in their decision to follow and serve Him and live out His will for their lives. They were blessed.
            For me after reading this I look at my own faith and compare it to the believers in Acts 2:41-47. Reading this I realize that; Real faith is NOT conditional. True faith isn’t true unless tested and remains un-wavered, just like true love.  God has His own timeline; God is the master planner, His plan for our lives far out does any plan we can wipe up. As true followers of God we must understand and except that sometimes He says “yes” or “no” or even  “ do first and maybe in due time”. For it is written, “ To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under the sun.” Ecclesiastes 3:1 NKJV. Another grip on my heart is that; we are called to strictly “come”, come and follow the Lord. As I sit back and take this all in, I ask myself the questions; “why do I hold back?”, “ why do I think this is okay?”. 
            In closing, what I took away from this verse was; a leap of faith is a blessing in return. But remember that God is always in charge of what time, shape and season that blessing takes from in your life. Finally, it’s not my job to ask why, when or how…. It’s solely my responsibility to close my eyes, say a prayer and jump….
2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV
“ For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of sound mind.”

No comments:

Post a Comment