Monday, July 25, 2011

Acts 2:42 "Community in Christ"


Act 2: 42 NKJV
“ And they continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine and fellowship in the breaking for bread, and in prayers.”

            The people in this verse were new followers of the Lord, yet they were leaping and diving into a community of like-minds. Coming from a background of being a “ spiritual lone ranger”, I can strongly identify with this passage. I am sure we have all heard, “ two heads are better than one, three heads are better than two” and so on. Now I know we aren’t talking about three heads, we are talking about three thousand heads, but the idea is still the same! What I mean; is it is so difficult to grow in Christ all on your own. We need others of like minds to guide us. Fellowship is vital in the life of a God pursuing person. The first church new the importance of community in Christ.  
When we live in community with each other, like these people of the first church did, they acquired many things all-growing Christians need (just to clarify… we are all always growing). When people live and grow in Christ together they can hold each other accountable in their commitment to God. Which leads to me to my next point, wise counsel. These new believers were bound to have limitless questions and concerns about God, His doctrines and things of that nature. Because they lived as a congregation instead of only seeing each other maybe once a week (if their tight schedule allowed it), they were able to “continue steadfastly”.
Being up here at the Ranch have given me a real sense of community in Christ. We spend everyday together. My fellow roommates and myself literally do everything together, we eat together, we sit in class ALL DAY ha together, we clean and do servant work together, we do homework, bible study, prayers, brush our teeth… everything as one. Sometimes as all of us can agree, can get pretty tiring, but at the same time, we are growing to be such amazing friends. No clicks, no gossip, no harsh words. Community. Now we have our difficult times yes, and I have to admit I always look forward to bathroom breaks because it’s the only time I am alone hahah… but I am becoming stronger in my walk everyday, and that hasn’t happen on my own.
Our Father didn’t design us to walk alone, ha that are why He gave us churches, community. If I am to become the women God has planned me to be then I am called to learn from these people. I have to be open to what each one of my bothers and sisters in Christ has to offer me. It’s important to encourage my siblings in the Lord with every word and action. I can’t be scared to get too close to these people out of fear of not being accepted, because they already care for me just the way I am…. I know this sound mushy guys, but stay with me here…. This is the way was meant to be. This is God’s design.  No man is an island. 

No comments:

Post a Comment